1916| 1920 | 1921 |1922 | 1923 | 1924 | 1925 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 |1937 | 1949 | 1952 | 1959 | 1960
1961 | 1962 | 1963 | 1964 | 1965 | 1967 | 1968 | 1969 | 1973 | 1974 | 1975 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1981 | 1982
1983 | 1984| 1986 | 1987 | 1988 | 1989 | 1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997
1998 | 1999 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010
A Board of Trustees was appointed but, because of World War I, the library was not organized until 1921.
The High School Library was opened and administered by the Cleveland Heights Board of Education.
Coventry School Library was opened and administered by the Cleveland Heights Board of Education.
The Board of Trustees appointed a librarian, the Cleveland Heights Public Library was organized, and opened to the public. It was housed in the basement of Coventry Elementary School and the school library there became part of it.
Fairfax Branch Library was opened in the Fairfax Elementary School.
Roxboro Branch Library was opened in the Roxboro Elementary School.
These two branch libraries were open three days a week each and both served the neighborhood as well as the school. Since they were open on alternate days, the same staff was in charge of both libraries.
The High School Library became part of the Cleveland Heights Public Library.
Noble Branch Library was organized and housed in a portable building located on the Noble Elementary School grounds.
The administrative offices, catalog and order departments were moved from Coventry Elementary School into rented quarters at 1916 Lee Road. This became the Main Library.
The library in the Coventry Elementary School was continued as Coventry Branch Library.
Noble Branch Library was moved into another portable building which had been designed for library use. It was located on the Noble Elementary School grounds.
Roosevelt Branch Library was opened in the Roosevelt Junior High School.
Roxboro Branch Library was moved from the Roxboro Elementary School to quarters in the new Roxboro Junior High School across the street.
The Main Library was moved from 1916 Lee Road into the new library building at Coventry Road and Washington Boulevard, which was the first permanent building owned by the library. Coventry Library then became the Main Library of the system at 1925 Coventry Road.
Coventry Library expanded.
The library at 1916 Lee Road was continued as Lee Branch Library.
Monticello Branch Library was opened in the Monticello Junior High School.
Lee Branch Library was moved into the new library building at Lee and Dellwood roads, which was the second permanent building owned by the library. This branch combined old Lee Branch, at 1916 Lee Road, and the Fairfax Branch Library, and these were now discontinued.
Noble Branch Library was moved from the portable building on Noble Elementary School grounds to a new library building across the street at 2800 Noble Road. This was the third permanent building owned by the library.
In April, the Board of Library Trustees purchased three lots at Cedar and Fenwick Roads in University Heights as a site for the proposed branch library.
A 20-year bond issue, in the amount of $235,000.00, was passed in 1949 with a 65% vote, for the erection of a branch library in University Heights.
University Heights Branch Library at Cedar and Fenwick Roads in University Heights was opened. This was the fourth permanent building owned by the library, 13866 Cedar Road.
League of Women Voters studies need to move public libraries out of school buildings forming basis of public library levy support.
The Board of Education took over the branch library housed in Cleveland Heights High School.
The Board of Education took over the branch libraries housed in Monticello, Roosevelt and Roxboro Junior High Schools.
Friends of the Cleveland Heights Public Library was incorporated.
The University Heights Branch was remodeled and the Children’s Room was moved to the ground floor.
The Noble Branch was expanded and the Reference Room was added.
Survey of the library, “A Report on Library Service with Recommendations for the Cleveland Heights Public Library,” by William Chait, Consultant, Director of the Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library. The survey recommended a central Main Library.
The name of the library was changed since the Board of Education had changed its name when it moved to new headquarters on Miramar Boulevard. Library name change made to conform to school district name.
A 20-year bond issue, in the amount of $1,300,000.00, was passed with a 61% vote, for the development of Lee Branch as the Main Library
Standard Dewey Decimal book classification adopted.
The Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library Staff Association was formed.
Lee Branch closed to enable the building program to continue.
New Main Library at 2345 Lee Road, opened in September with 56,000 square feet floor space and a collection capacity for 250,000 volumes.
Sunday library service was pioneered; Main Library opened 1-5 p.m.
A 1.2 mill operating levy passed with a 67.8% vote FOR the library.
All four buildings open Sundays, 1-5 p.m.
Main Library parking lot – increased parking spaces from 59 to 103.
January – Sale of Coventry building completed. Coventry Village Library continued in leased area of south side of building.
Joined Ohio College Library Center (OCLC).
Cleveland Heights-University Heights League of Women Voters study of library system.
Main Library second floor expanded for public service – total square feet increased to 64,000.
Public access OCLC terminal installed at Main Library, one of two for public libraries in Ohio.
Library Planning Committee, a group of 18 lay persons, appointed to study services and finances.
A 1.7 mill operating levy (1.2 renewal plus .5 increase) placed on the ballot.
Approved by 67.1% of the voters.
Purchase of Coventry building completed.
Signed agreement with Cleveland Public Library to provide an automated circulation system and online catalog with access to the collection of Cleveland Public Library.
Circulation record of 1,021,644 items achieved.
Coventry building renovation completed; library opened for expanded service; tenant leases signed.
Main Library went online.
Another circulation record achieved, 1,035,109 items.
A 1.5 mill operating (replacement) levy placed on the ballot. Approved by 80.8% of the voters.
University Heights Library went online.
Intangibles Tax, major source of public library funding for fifty years, repealed effective January 1, 1986.
Noble Neighborhood Library went online.
Coventry Village Library went online.
Cleveland Heights-University Heights system totally automated.
Library and Local Government Support Fund (6.3% of personal State income tax) new source of public library funding.
Library named one of 50 outstanding libraries in the United States by the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library Science.
Friends of the Library celebrated 25th anniversary.
Main Library refurbished.
Successful levy campaign. A 3 mill operating levy passed by 70.4% of the voters.
Retirement of Director Rachel Wayne Nelson.
Appointment of Stephen Wood as Director.
First juried competition for the Rachel Wayne Nelson Permanent Art Fund.
“Cascade,” a wall hanging by Alberta Parkinson, a Cleveland Heights resident, was selected for the Main Library.
University Heights Library refurbished for physically challenged.
Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library celebrated 75th anniversary.
Main Library parking lot resurfaced and parking spaces increased from 103 to 111, including five spaces for people with disabilities.
Main Library Children’s Room refurbished.
Largest one-day circulation, 6,262 items, occurred January 2.
Third juried competition for the Rachel Wayne Nelson Permanent Art Fund (second resulted in no winner). “Open Book,” a sculpture by Marvin Smith, for the Main Library parking lot, was selected.
Continuing 4-mill levy, with collection to begin in 1993, approved by 65.2% of the voters. The five-year operating levy, approved in 1988, was removed one year early.
Instituted Strategic Management Program for Board and staff.
Employee Audit conducted by Gortz and Associates.
Certificate of Achievement issued by The Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada and presented by Thomas Ferguson, Auditor of State, for the library’s first Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for fiscal year ending December 31, 1991.
Main Library remodeling of Business Office and first floor rest rooms and construction of Children’s Room office and Circulation Department office.
Creation of Position Descriptions by Gortz and Associates, based on input from staff, supervisors and the Director.
Revision of Personnel Policy into Personnel Policy Manual because of Americans With Disabilities Act and the Family Leave Act.
Printed date due slips replaced date due stickers.
Telephone renewals began.
Installation of exterior lighting at Coventry Village Library due to efforts of Coventry Village Redevelopment Corporation and fixture and design gifts from General Electric.
Development of Computer Center at Main Library expected to open February, 1995.
Noble Neighborhood Library remodeling project begun with an estimated completion date of March, 1995.
Replacement of original front steps at Coventry Village Library.
Salary Survey conducted by Gortz and Associates.
Anne Bauer Staff Development Fund established by Larry Bauer in memory of his mother.
Main Library drive-up book return project began at south end of building.
Established Guidelines for Fines and Charges.
Upgrade of telephone system including new equipment and portable phones at the branches.
Public sale of old furniture and equipment.
Opening of Computer Center at the Main Library.
Noble Neighborhood Library remodeling project completed.
Coventry Village Library remodeling project begun.
Main Library parking lot reconfigured and resurfaced.
Main Library lighting retrofitting project completed.
Main Library chosen as one of twenty libraries in the United States to exhibit “A More Perfect Union: Japanese Americans and the U.S. Constitution”, on loan from the Smithsonian Institution.
Coventry Village Library remodeling project completed.
Main Library Adult Services Department enlarged.
Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer Authority three-year inteceptor sewer project begun on Coventry Village Library grounds.
Development of library’s Internet home page.
Purchased two houses adjacent to Noble Neighborhood Library for parking lot project.
Commissioned art work installed at Coventry Village Library and Noble Neighborhood Library.
Parking lot completed at Noble Neighborhood Library.
University Heights Library remodeling project completed.
Salary Survey and Compensation Analysis conducted.
Developed Mission, Values and Vision statements.
Telephone survey conducted.
Coventry Village Library recipient of Community Vision Award from Heights Community Congress for deaf awareness program.
Main Library Space Utilization Study conducted.
Telephone upgrade for year 2000 compliance.
First annual Cain Park Library Festival held as climax to Summer Reading Program; over 1,000 persons attended.
Harry Parkman Memorial Fund established to purchase electronic databases services.
Library is recipient of over $400,000 from estate of Larry Bauer for the Anne Bauer Staff Development Fund.
Library Director Stephen D. Wood selected as the Ohio Library Council’s Librarian of the year.
Fourth juried competition for Rachel Wayne Nelson Art Fund (second resulted in no winner). “Faux Landscape,” a mixed media piece by Penny Rakoff, for the University Heights Library, was selected.
Noble Neighborhood Library selected by City of Cleveland Heights for Community Improvement Award.
Maureen Sullivan selected as Strategic Planning consultant.
Telephone survey conducted by Terry Casey.
Ranking of 8th in the country among libraries of similar size by Hennen American Public Library Rating Index.
Purchase of property adjacent to University Heights Library for construction of parking lot.
Tuition Reimbursement Program for library employees developed that will be funded by the Bauer Staff Development Fund.
Direct deposit of paychecks mandatory for library employees.
Paycheck frequency changed from 24 to 26 per year.
1.9 mill levy, with collection to begin in 2001, approved by 70.3% of the voters.
Recipient of OhioReads grant to promote reading and literacy among children.
Winner of $1,000 in promotion by 3M of their self-charge system.
Purchase of property adjacent to property purchased in 1999 for construction of a larger parking lot at University Heights Library.
Purchase of property formerly known as the Heights Y located across Lee Road from the Main Library and renamed Heights Library Activity Center.
Strategic Plan 2000 accepted by the Board of Trustees.
Special telephone survey conducted by Terry Casey to determine community’s interest in and support of uses for the Heights Library Activity Center.
Dobama Theatre selected to share space in the Heights Library Activity Center.
Ranking of 7th in the nation among libraries of similar size by Hennen American Public Library Rating Index. (We were ranked 8th in 1999.)
Rocket e-Books launched.
Website named “Library Spot of the Month” by LibrarySpot.com, a free virtual library resource center for educators, students and businesses.
Asbestos removed from Main Library and Activity Center.
Welcome Packet for new library card registrants created by the Public Relations office.
GetAnAnswer.org, e-mail reference service, introduced.
Tribute Book Fund established.
Library and Local Government Support Fund frozen at 2000 level.
Gates Foundation Grant received to provide computer equipment to Coventry.
Library Service and Technology Act Grant received for Mother Goose Asks Why project to target low-income families with young children.
Salary and Benefits Survey conducted.
KnowItNow, live web reference service, launched.
Saturday deliveries to the branches began.
Operating Agreement with Dobama Theatre signed.
Web site won the “Libby Award” from libraryplace.com.
Drew Carey Grant received to train teens to review alternative media for library purchase.
Heights Arts Collaborative selected to share space in Activity Center.
$9.5 million Bond Issue, approved by voters by 72%, won in every one of the 76 precincts in Cleveland Heights, University Heights and South Euclid.
Contracted with fundraising consultant for capital campaign.
KnowItNow won first ever Award for Innovation from the Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN).
Secret Shopper Program conducted.
Society for the Deaf grant awarded to Coventry Village Library to support a series of professionally taught sign language classes.
Mission Statement, revised to better reflect the current purpose of the library, is now: The Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library – a vital and dynamic community resource that promotes lifelong learning.
Main Library renovation project stalled because the exterior design could not receive approval from the Cleveland Heights Architectural Board of Review. In December, architect Paul Ricciuti of Ricciuti Balog and Partners, Youngstown, was hired as the library’s design consultant.
Participated with other CAMLS’ members in the first year of North Coast Neighbors Share a Book with community residents all reading Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.
Comprehensive orientation program developed for all new staff.
Complete review/revision of all position descriptions and salary survey took place.
Began reimbursing staff for up to $100 of their membership fees in professional organizations.
Began offering staff and their spouses free flu shots through the Cuyahoga County Board of Health.
Support from the state’s Library and Local Government Support Fund (LLGSF) decreased due to the poor economy.
The library was rated 10th among libraries our size nationwide according to the Hennen American Public Library Rating index.
Introduced circulating MP3 players to the community, one of the first libraries in the state to do so.
Installed productivity software (Microsoft Word, Excel,, etc.) on all public service PCs throughout the system.
Developed a new Web site specifically for teens.
Created a true “Teen Area” at the Main Library in anticipation of a much larger space that will come through renovation.
Human Resources Coordinator Beverly Costanzo passed away in November.
Deputy Director Susan Matisoff passed away in February.
Received final approval for the Main Library renovation design from the Cleveland Heights Architectural Board of Review; received air rights for both the walkway and the decorative arches from the Cleveland Heights City Council; received approval from the City’s Planning Commission.
Approval of the Main Library renovation project denied by the City’s Board of Zoning Appeals. This decision was appealed to the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, and a settlement was reached with the City giving us all necessary permissions to move ahead with the renovation project.
Deputy Director Catherine Hakala-Ausperk hired in June.
Received an LSTA grant to create, in partnership with the Heights Parent Center, the “Little Heights” play and learn center.
Replaced air conditioning system at Noble.
Installed an upgraded telephone system.
Parental Leave policy written to replace old maternity/paternity policy.
Staffing time bank reduced by 104 hours each week through elimination of positions of Branch Custodian, Printing Clerk and an Adult Services Clerk.
“Library and Local Government Support Fund” income continues to decrease because of the 2004-2005 biennium budget bill froze the LLGSF at 2002 levels.
Expenditures for the library’s materials collection reduced by 7% because of reduced income. Staff is more careful in their selection.
The Hennen American Public Library Rating index came out and the library moved from tenth to ninth among libraries our size nationwide.
For the 12th year in a row, the library’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report received a Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada. We are one of only four libraries in the state that produce a CAFR for their community.
Reached two million in circulation on December 30!
In the early months of 2004, the Library Board approved the engagement of a new architect, Studio Techne, to take over the work from the previous firm of Dan Meehan Architects. Studio Techne has made much progress in forging ahead with the design and the final drawings, including a change in the pedestrian walkway.
We implemented a new self-charge out system called FlashScan. Thus far, the library has machines in two buildings, Main and Noble.
T-1 data lines were replaced between the Main Library and the branches, and additional computers were installed in the University Heights branch Computer Center.
We, along with the entire CLEVNET consortium, switched to a new integrated library system called Sirsi in the spring of 2004. This is a major change within any single library, and an even greater challenge when many libraries are involved, as with a group as large as CLEVNET.
In 2004, the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library was again recognized as an outstanding library in the nation as shown by our ranking in the top 10 of the Hennen American Public Library Rating. We ranked eighth for libraries of our size throughout the country.
Adult Services saw the retirement of Vicki Victoria in October following several years of dedicated leadership, and the appointment of David Farnan to the position of Adult Services Coordinator.
Also in 2004, the Deputy Director has embarked on planning for the library’s new Strategic Plan. Deputy Director Cathy Hakala-Ausperk has worked diligently on this project, and the expertise of Board member Jerry Blake has been invaluable in moving this process forward.
After years of planning, we reached the start of our renovation. We closed the Lee Road building and moved all the books and materials to Taylor School. Due to good planning and hard work, everything found a useable place.
Samantha Fryberger joined us in April and has brought new ideas such as rack cards and the new design of Check Us Out.
The welcome desk at Taylor, that started out of need to orient patrons, has shown to be of value to our service.Nancy Levin has created “The Spot,” an afterschool program for teens at each building. The strong usage has shown how welcoming it is.
Our four buildings have wireless access. Our website is useful and informative. Our staff can Instant Message one another.
Of course the high point of the year was the truly grand reopening of Main in September. That weekend we hosted over 9,000 people in our renovated facility.
To complement our new library we implemented QIS or Quality Information Service. Customers really appreciate the proactive service delivery by the staff. The roving reference philosophy is being very well received. The Welcome Desk is also a wonderful addition to our customer service.
We developed a Facilities Maintenance Five Year plan that will ensure that our buildings are well maintained on an ongoing basis.
A potentially disastrous situation for all Ohio’s libraries was averted when the TEL/TABOR amendment was taken off the table.
2007 marked the beginning of a new era for the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Library System. With the opening in late 2006 of the renovated Main Library and Activities Center we were finally able to begin executing our vision of how to support our mission of promoting life-long learning.
As successful as 2007 has been, no year is perfect, and this one was no exception.
In November, staff lost two of their own, Diona Hicks and Pam Fletcher. Our sympathies go out to their families and loved ones. They will be sorely missed.
Stephen D. Wood announces pending retirement. Board embarks on nationwide search for replacement.
Dobama Operating Agreement signed by both Boards. Planning for renovation begins in earnest. John Williams of Process Creative designs theater with 190 seats and thrust stage. Studio Techne designs library lobby space and public restrooms.
Dobama decides to occupy only lower level (pool) of former YMCA, leaving gym space for future development. Library begins planning, hired Studio Techne as architect, conducted 7charrettes with staff, community leaders and open public to decide fate of this space.
With grant from Martha Holden Jennings Foundation teens come to library for Why Try? Program during the summer.
Director Stephen Wood retires on Aug. 31. New Director Nancy Levin begins Oct. 3.
Library funding crisis emerges over a weekend. Save Our Library Campaign gathered 1500 signatures of supporters in June.
Cut budget by $500,000 starting in July including staff cuts and benefits reductions that the staff absorbed with great largesse. Reigned in spending on services and supplies, renegotiated many service contracts. Adjusted allocations twice to respond to tighter controls and strategically fund library projects. Eliminated three positions and cut budget further by instituting a hiring freeze and assisting some future retirees in seeing the benefit of doing it in 2009 rather than later. Reallocated work and productivity to align with our most critical service needs.
Redesigned guard staffing by promoting BJ Loggins and replacing more expensive off-duty police with library trained guards.
Replaced SAM print management system with CASSIE.
Wireless printing introduced. Also, Wi-fi spots increased in all buildings and phone service improved.
All exterior grounds weeded and improved. Edible garden dressed up back door at Lee and now more are planned for each branch. Volunteers accomplished with little labor expense to library.
Completed bidding and build out of Dobama space. Worked closely with their staff to solve facility issues along way to successful opening in September. Improved Library visibility in the Annex with added signage, improved exterior.
Reorganized the Friends of the Library from the ground up with three powerful volunteers. Wise Up: A Literary Fest held at Night Town Restaurant to benefit Library. Friends hold Basement Book Sale, Election Day Bake sale.
Small Renovation at Coventry Village library for AV area and offices.
Computer Gallery, new Computer Classroom, and public Boardroom-conference room completed in January. Features SMART board technology and will serve our needs for a dedicated class room.
Marketing and Community Relations Coordinator position was created to oversee Web Designer, Staff Artist and Events Coordinator. Deputy Fiscal Officer postion was created to serve as Fiscal Officer in her absence and to assist inall Business Office operations. Staff Training and Development Coordinator added Volunteer Coordinator to her duties.
The Library contracted with Unique Management Services to help collect seriously overdue fines and fees for lost items.
Branches were kept closed on Sundays throughout the year in response to budget cuts. The Lee Road Library remained open on Sundays.
The Friends of the Library donated $12,000 to the Library and organized Wise Up! Chapter Two fundraiser at the Nighttown Restaurant.
The Library received a number of grants for Community Gardening, Choose to Read Ohio programming, and funds for a Pre-literacy playroom at the Noble Library Branch as part of its upcoming renovation. We also were awarded an Ezra Jack Keats Foundation award to create a pet show program in celebration of new Keats murals in the Lee Road children’s room.
Noble Renovations began in October with a total interior redesign.
A new hydraulic lift was installed at the University Heights Library. A ceremonial tree planting on Fenwick Road was held in honor of Arbor Day with the University Heights Mayor and local school children contributing to the program.
1221 children participated in the summer reading program.
A very comprehensive Technology Plan and 5 year spending plan was created.
Local History volunteers added digitized photographs from the City of University Heights and the library’s files to the Cleveland Memory Project.
More than 5,400 summer lunches were served in a 12 week period at the Lee Road Library. Lunches were provided for people under 18 years of age by the Cleveland Food Bank and library volunteers staffed the room every week day during the distribution.