Interlibrary Loan, or ILL, is a service library customers may use to gain access to materials which cannot be found in the CLEVNET catalog. Requests are made to libraries in the 48 contiguous states only.
How are requests placed?
A reference librarian at any of our four locations can submit an Interlibrary Loan Request for you, either over the phone or in person. (216) 932-3600.
What you should know before making a request
Any customer with a current, valid Greater Access or CLEVNET card, in good standing, can use ILL. Update your library record, as necessary, before placing your request.
ILL is different from regular requests that come from CLEVNET libraries. It takes longer to get ILL materials because they come from different libraries across the U.S., the due dates are typically shorter, and the material is checked out to you before pickup.
While every attempt is made to obtain requested materials, we cannot guarantee a request will be granted. The following are some items cannot be obtained through ILL (please see a reference person for a more detailed list):
- Any material with recent publication dates (the current and previous year)
- Entire journal issues or volumes
- Materials held in Rare Books or Special Collections departments
- LPs and audiocassettes
- Computer files
- Material that are over 100 years old
Your responsibility as a borrower…
- Make sure your contact information is current. If the ILL Department can’t reach you, you can’t get your requested material.
- Return ILL items on time.
- Any fees assessed to the Heights Libraries for lost, damaged, or late material will be attached to your library record.
- If you no longer need the material, call the ILL Department so the request can be cancelled.
How do you know your material is ready?
When requested material becomes available, you will receive either an e-mail or phone call from the ILL Department. You will have 4 days to pick up your reserve. If requested material cannot be obtained, you will receive either an e-mail or a letter with an explanation. Customers who pick up materials from the branches will have 5 days for pick-up.