Cleveland Heights-University Heights
"Opening Doors, Opening Minds"
What is Balanced Scorecard and how does it work?
Q: What is a Balanced Scorecard?
A: It is a planning tool. It is just a new way of looking at Strategic Planning.
Q: What does it do?
A: It helps us turn our Mission, Vision and Values into reality. Used as a management or decision making tool, it helps us stay focused on fulfilling our mission.
Q: Where’s the “Balance?”
A: The Scorecard emphasizes results. Measurements are taken throughout the year and success is “measured.” We seek a “balance” between past accomplishments and future achievements. Also, we consider all facets of our operation when aligning our plan. that includes financial, operational, customer service, collection and staffing perspectives.
Q: What does the Balanced Scorecard replace?
A: It replaces a traditional, long-range (3-5 year) planning document.
Q: Why use it? What’s wrong with traditional Long Range Planning?
A: For some industries, traditional long range planning still works. But, in libraries, rapid change and an ability to adapt quickly to customer needs is the most important outcome. By “re-writing” our Scorecard more frequently, we can stay on top of what our customers want and how we can “keep up” with giving it to them.
Q: So how will you actually use the Balanced Scorecard and how will results be given to the community?
A: We will use The Balanced Scorecard to gauge decisions we make on how we spend our time and money. Progress is reported at each month’s Board of Trustees meeting.
Read more about our current plans and past accomplishments:
- 2010-2011 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard)
- 2010-2011 Strategic Plan/Balanced Scorecard Monthly Updates
- 2008-2009 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard) Final Report
- 2008-2009 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard)
- 2007 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard)
- 2007 Strategy Map (Includes more detailed action plans)
- 2007 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard) Annual Report
- 2006 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard)
- 2006 Strategy Map
- 2006 Strategic Plan (Balanced Scorecard) Annual Report