“Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can’t remember who we are or why we’re here.”
Sue Monk Kidd
Everyone has a story to tell, and every story is important to share with others. The In My Day Oral History project at Heights Libraries is a simple, free way to preserve those stories while adding to the tapestry of our community’s rich and varied history.
Anyone can record their story anytime and anywhere they want so long as they have an internet connection and the guest login. This means more stories, more inclusion, and a better representation of our community than has ever been captured before.
You can participate in three ways:
- Sign up for a recording session with our local history librarian, Jessica Robinson, at (216) 932-3600 Ext. 1248.
- Come to one of our special, themed recording programs which are listed in our Check Us Out publication and also below in this blog post. Each recording session is a half hour long, and from December-February cookies and cocoa will be provided to all who register.
- Record a story yourself with the SimplyTold app, guest login available starting in mid November.
If you get stuck call your local Heights library for help, or sign up for a training session.
Or if you’re nervous about participating or aren’t sure what kind of stories you want to share, check out the videos that have already been uploaded. You never know, you might see some of your friends or neighbors on our site!
In My Day is funded in part by an ArtsNEXT grant from the Ohio Arts Council. For further information visit oac.ohio.gov/grants.
Your Guide to the SimplyTold App and the In My Day Oral History Project
Tuesday, Dec 4 from 6:30-8:30 pm
Do you want to learn more about how to use the SimplyTold app? Come to this session to get started recording today! We recommend that you bring a smart device you to this session such as an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone/tablet. Drop-ins welcome, no registration required!
In My Day: Heights Oral History Project Winter Recording Sessions
- University Heights – Fall memories and schooldays Tues, Oct 23 from 1-3 pm
- Coventry – Civic activism and Coventry Peace Park Thurs, Nov 8 from 1-3 pm
- Lee Road – Thanksgiving stories Mon, Nov 12 from 10-12 pm
- Lee Road – Holiday Traditions, Activities, and Personal Stories Thurs, Dec 13 from 9-11 am*
- Lee Road – Snowstorms and Winter Weather Wed, Jan 16 from 10 am-12 pm*
- Lee Road – Love Stories Wed, Feb 13, 6 – 7:30 pm*
*Cookies and hot chocolate provided at these sessions.
In My Day: Heights Oral History Project Winter Watch and Discussion Sessions
- Wed, Dec 5 from 10-12 am
- Fri, Jan 25 from 12-2 pm
Which In My Day video is your favorite? Come to our watch party and talk about which videos truly left a lasting impression on you and why. This is also a great time to give us feedback on how our project is going. Cookies and cocoa provided to all who register.