***JUST SO YOU KNOW*** All of the posts in our book discussion series contain questions and reviews that could possibly reveal parts of the plot you may rather discover by reading the book. Proceed with caution!***
The Book Discussion Series enhances the reading experience by providing a list of interpretive questions compiled by librarians of the Cleveland Heights-Univeristy Heights Public Library
Kate DiCamillo is one of those authors who could win a literary biathalon with her eyes closed – she has written for a long, long time and is very accurate with her sensibilities; she hardly ever misses. Because of Winn-Dixie is one of her always popular titles. The warm and honest telling of a girl’s relationship to her pet dog and what it means to her like is a great place to start if you are thinking about an opening title for your book club! And if you do, here are some questions to help you, developed by librarians here at CHUH-PL.
- Why does Opal claim Winn-Dixie when he’s lost in the grocery store? Would you have done that? Why or why not?
- Describe Winn-Dixie. Why does India Opal fall in love with him right away?
- How does India Opal’s father react to Winn-Dixie? How does she convince him to let the dog stay? Why is Winn-Dixie able to charm her father?
- What are some of the things that happen because of Winn-Dixie?
- What are the ten things about India Opal’s mother that her father tells her. Can you connect them to the rest of the story? (#3 she liked to plant things ‘“ India Opal plants a tree with Gloria Dump).
- Which of India Opal’s new friends do you like the best? Who would you most want as a friend? Do you think that India Opal would be a good friend?
- Gloria Dump says that the most important thing in life is ‘œdifferent for everyone’¦ You have to find out on your own.’ What do you think Gloria Dump’s most important thing is? What do you think Opal’s is?
- Gloria Dump also says ‘œyou got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.’ Do you think this is important advice? Do any of the characters do this? How?
- Why is Gloria Dump so important to India Opal?
- Why do you think Miss Franny Block gave India Opal Gone with the Wind to read to Gloria Dump? What book would you give/suggest to her? Why?
- Describe the bear incident. What do you think about it?
- What did you think of the Littmus Lozenges? How do the characters react when eating them? Would you want to try one? Why or why not?
- Why is the party important to India Opal? Does it go as planned?
- When Winn-Dixie is missing, India is able to say things to her father that she hasn’t been able to say and ask him questions that she hasn’t been able to ask. What are some of these things? Why do you think they have this breakthrough? Do you think that their relationship will change in the future because of this?
- What are the 10 things that India Opal thinks about Winn-Dixie when he’s missing? Would you think of other things about him if you had to make a list?