The hotspot lending program is a new, free service that allows cardholders to check out a hotspot device and connect to the internet from almost anywhere!
A hotspot is a small device you can use to connect a wireless enabled device, such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet, to the internet. Hotspots are portable, so you can connect your device to the internet almost anywhere you are, like at home, on the bus or in the park. The hotspot device works in any area covered by the Sprint 3G or 4G LTE network.
Frequently Asked Questions
My device will not connect to the hotspot/will not stay connected
A hotspot connects to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices, like a laptop. Your hotspot device needs to connect to a Sprint cell tower in order to function. Signal strength will vary based on your physical location. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your hotspot.
Troubleshooting connection issues:
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a Sprint cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
- Visit coverage.sprint.com to determine the strength of the Sprint signal at your address.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- 18 years or older to check out a hotspot
- Library Card in good standing
- Borrower will sign brief agreement document first time borrowing a hotspot
- Borrower is limited to checking out one (1) hotspot device at a time
What comes in a hotspot kit?
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 micro USB cable
- 1 wall charger
- 1 laminated info sheet
Where can I check out a hotspot kit?
Hotspot kits are available for checkout at the circulation desks at the Lee, Coventry and Noble library branches.
Can I place a hold on a hotspot device?
Yes, a hold can be placed by calling the library at 216-932-3600 or speaking with staff at any Heights Libraries location. One (1) hotspot hold may be placed on a library card at a time.
Customers are notified when their hotspot hold is available. Once notified, customers have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the hotspot before the hold is cancelled.
Can I pause a hold on a hotspot?
Once placed, a hold on a hotspot cannot be suspended or paused.
How long can I borrow a hotspot kit?
You can borrow a hotspot kit for two weeks (14 days). Hotspot devices may not be renewed.
Where should I return a hotspot kit?
A hotspot kit must be returned in person to the circulation desk of the Heights Library location where it was checked out. Hotspots may not be returned in a book drop or at a CHPL location other than where it was originally checked out.
What if I return a hotspot kit late or lose it?
Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc. The overdue fines for a hotspot are $5 per day with a maximum fine of $15.
The wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned on the due date.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Hotspot device replacement fee: $80
- Charger cord replacement: $5
- USB adapter replacement: $5
- Case replacement: $20
If the entire hotspot kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $110.
Help, the hotspot screen is locked/asking me to enter a PIN number.
You do not need to unlock the hotspot or enter a PIN number. To use the device, turn it on by sliding the power button located on the top of the device. Once the device is on, it’s ready to use!
How many devices can be connected to a hotspot?
Up to ten (10) devices can be connected to the hotspot device at one time using the WiFi password library1
Can I use the hotspot device outside the U.S.?
No, the hotspot device only functions in the United States and where a Sprint signal is available. Visit coverage.sprint.com to see where Sprint coverage is available.
What if I need help with the WiFi hotspot kit?
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please speak to one of the librarians at the reference desks.