Heights Libraries is finding ways to help customers despite shortage
Due to cuts to its budget, the Internal Revenue Service will drastically reduce the federal tax materials it provides to public libraries during the 2015 tax season, according to an email the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library received from the IRS.
“The IRS will not be providing any instruction booklets at all, and will only be providing a limited number of the most common tax forms like the 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ,” says Levin. “Obviously, this will create a hardship for many members of our community, but we will be doing all we can to help.”
Heights Libraries will create printed, bound copies of the most common instruction booklets that customers can use on-site or check out for a limited time, and also provide customers with information about how to contact the IRS to request forms via phone or online. Additionally, library staff can help customers download and print forms and instructions from the websites of the IRS, the Ohio Department of Taxation, and the Regional Income Tax Authority (RITA).
“Customers can also use our public computers to file their taxes online,” says Levin, “and beginning in mid-February, local AARP volunteers will once again provide customers with free tax help at our Lee Road and University Heights branches. ” Customers must register for the AARP tax help by calling (216) 932-3600.
The printed tax documents that the IRS will provide for Heights Libraries are limited to the :
- Forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ
- Publication 17, one reference copy for each participant (Taxpayers will be able to access Publication 17 in English and Spanish online from irs.gov/Pub17 and, new this year, it will also be available as a free e-Pub for downloading from IRS.gov and viewing on most e-Readers and other mobile devices.)
- Publication 4604 (EN/SP), Use the Web for IRS Tax Products & Information
- Publication 1132, Reproducible Copies of Federal Tax Forms and Instructions
Customers can obtain forms on their own the following ways:
- IRS.gov/Forms – to view and download
- IRS.gov/orderforms – to order tax products to be delivered by mail
- 1-800-829-3676 – to order tax products to be delivered by mail