Looking for information about Issue 5, the Heights Libraries Operating Levy?
Here are answers to frequently asked questions:
- It is a new, 2.2 mill operating levy, NOT a renewal.
- The issue number is 5.
- It will generate $2.3 million a year.
- It amounts to an additional $73.50 per year on a $100,000 home, or $6.13 a month.
- Funding for Heights Libraries amounts to 6% of your total property tax bill.
- It will allow us to keep all four branches operational.
- It will allow us to consider reinstating hours and services cut in 2009 when state funding was cut drastically, such as Sunday hours.
- Our expenses started to outpace our revenue this year.
- The Heights Libraries budget is $9 million year, with two-thirds coming from local property taxes and the other third from the State of Ohio’s Public Library fund (PLF). We receive no federal funds.
- PLF funding is at 1996 levels and will most likely continue to drop in 2015.
- Residents are NOT being double taxed for both the Cuyahoga County Library System and the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Library. We are a separate, independent system, so our community’s tax money does not go to the County system.
- Our Levy committee is being co-chaired by Abby Botnick (current Library board member) and Louisa Oliver (president of the FRIENDS of the Heights Libraries).