Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can’t remember who we are or why we’re here.Sue Monk Kidd
Everyone has a story to tell, and every story is important to share with others. The In My Day Oral History project at Heights Libraries is a simple, free way to preserve those stories while adding to the tapestry of our community’s rich and varied history.
Anyone can record their story anytime and anywhere they want so long as they have an internet connection and the guest login. This means more stories, more inclusion, and a better representation of our community than has ever been captured before.
You can participate in three ways:
- Sign up for a recording session with our local history librarian, Jessica Robinson, at (216) 932-3600 Ext. 1248.
- Come to one of our special, themed recording programs (see below). Each recording session is a half hour long, and cookies and cocoa will be provided to all who register.
- Record a story yourself with the SimplyTold app
How to record using the SimplyTold app:
- First download the SimplyTold app on your smart device (iPhone, iPad, or Android tablet/phone). You must have access to wifi to use this app, and your phone must be turned to shoot in landscape mode.
- Login with the following information:
- Give the app permission to access your microphone. (You may need to reopen the app after this step.)
- Select the option for “Instant Story.”
- Push the red button to start recording, and push it again when you want to stop recording.
- Click either “retake” to reshoot the video if you don’t like, or click “use video” to send it to our library team for approval contingent on compliance with our community standards.
- Give your video a title, and make sure that the title includes your name so that we can match up your release form with your video. Videos that do not include a full name in the title may not be published if we cannot determine the identity of the owner.
- Sign a release form:
If you get stuck call your local Heights library for help, or sign up for a training session.
In My Day is funded in part by an ArtsNEXT grant from the Ohio Arts Council. For more information visit oac.ohio.gov/grants.