If you haven’t been completely out of touch with the goings-on in tv land in the past 8 years, you’ve most likely stumbled across or at least heard of the show The Big Bang Theory….and if you’ve seen it, you know and probably love the character Raj, the selectively mute astrophysicist that can only talk to women when he has some liquid courage.
Yes, My Accent is Real is the story of the funny man who plays Raj, Kunal Nayyar. He breaks his life down into little essays, so it’s not quite a memoir, but more of a “Sit down and I’ll tell you a few stories” book. I listened to the audiobook, read by Kunal, and that’s exactly how it felt.
Within the pages (or as you listen to Kunal read) you will find out:
- how he became a teenage badminton champion
- why he felt like Robocop in his parents home
- what his first year in America was like as a college freshman studying business
- why Romeo and Juliet and Cabaret are still sore spots
- how he met and fell in love with his wife Neha
…and of course, how he landed his spot as Raj on The Big Bang Theory.
Spoiler: Sadly, he isn’t really an astrophysicist.