The tablet lending program is a free service that allows cardholders to check out an Android tablet device and connect to the internet from almost anywhere!
A tablet is a portable mobile computer device with a touchscreen, which allows you to browse the Internet, do work, or play games via installed apps. Our tablets are 4g connected, so you can use them almost anywhere you are, like at home, on the bus, or in the park. The tablet device works in any area covered by the Verizon 4G LTE network. Our tablets come with a Bluetooth-connected keyboard for times when you need to do a lot of typing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I check out a tablet kit?
Tablets are available for checkout at every branch.
Can I place a hold on a tablet device?
Yes, a hold can be placed by calling the library at (216) 932-3600 or speaking with staff at any Heights Libraries location. One (1) tablet hold may be placed on a library card at a time. Customers are notified when their tablet hold is available. Once notified, customers have two days (48 hours) to check out the tablet before the hold is cancelled.
Can I pause a hold on a tablet?
Once placed, a hold on a tablet cannot be paused but you may cancel or edit the hold (change pick-up location, contact information, etc.).
How long can I borrow a tablet kit?
You can borrow a tablet kit for one week (7 days). Tablet devices may not be renewed.
What is required to check out a tablet?
- The borrower must be 18 or older and have an adult library card in good standing.
- The borrower is limited to checking out one (1) tablet device at a time.
- The borrower can be placed on a waiting list once their current tablet has been returned.
Where/how can I use a tablet?
Our tablets connect to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your tablet. If you have your own Wi-Fi connection, the tablets can also use that for their Internet connection.
Troubleshooting connection issues:
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a Verizon cell tower.
- Restart the tablet.
- If using Wi-Fi, check to make sure that you have properly entered your wireless network’s password on the tablet. This can be done in the Wi-Fi settings menu on your device.
- Visit Verizon.com/coverage-map to determine the strength of the Verizon signal at your address.
What comes in a tablet kit?
- 1 case
- 1 tablet device
- 1 micro USB cable and 1 USB C cable
- 2 wall chargers
Where should I return a tablet kit?
Please return your tablet kit in the book drop of the branch where you originally checked it out.
What if I return a tablet kit late or lose it?
Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the tablets and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc. The tablet will be disabled if it is not returned on the due date. Overdue fees will not be charged.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower:
- Tablet device replacement fee: $190
- Bluetooth Keyboard/case replacement: $50
- Charger cord replacement: $5 (micro USB)/$10 (USB C)
- USB charger replacement: $5
- Kit case replacement: $10
If the entire tablet kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $275.
Can I use the tablet device outside the U.S.?
No, the tablet device only functions in the United States and where a Verizon signal is available. Visit Verizon.com/coverage-map to see where Verizon coverage is available.
What if I need help with the tablet?
If you need help with a tablet, please call the library at (216) 932-3600 to speak with a Librarian.