The hotspot lending program is a free service that allows cardholders to check out a hotspot device and connect to the internet from almost anywhere!
A hotspot is a small device you can use to connect a wireless enabled device, such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet, to the internet. Hotspots are portable, so you can connect your device to the internet almost anywhere you are, like at home, on the bus or in the park. The hotspot device works in any area covered by the Sprint 3G or 4G LTE network.
Frequently Asked Questions
My device will not connect to the hotspot/will not stay connected
A hotspot connects to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices, like a laptop. Your hotspot device needs to connect to a Sprint cell tower in order to function. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your hotspot.
Troubleshooting connection issues:
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a Sprint cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
- Visit coverage.sprint.com to determine the strength of the Sprint signal at your address.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- 18 years or older to check out a hotspot
- Library Card in good standing
- Borrower will sign brief agreement document first time borrowing a hotspot
- Borrower is limited to checking out one (1) hotspot device at a time
What comes in a hotspot kit?
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 micro USB cable
- 1 wall charger
Where can I check out a hotspot kit?
Hotspot kits are available for checkout at the circulation desks at the Lee, Coventry, Noble and University Heights library branches.
Can I place a hold on a hotspot device?
Yes, a hold can be placed by calling the library at 216-932-3600 or speaking with staff at any Heights Libraries location. One (1) hotspot hold may be placed on a library card at a time.
Customers are notified when their hotspot hold is available. Once notified, customers have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the hotspot before the hold is cancelled.
Can I pause a hold on a hotspot?
Once placed, a hold on a hotspot cannot be paused but you may cancel or edit the hold (change pick-up location, contact information etc).
How long can I borrow a hotspot kit?
You can borrow a hotspot kit for two weeks (14 days). Hotspot devices may not be renewed.
Where should I return a hotspot kit?
Please return your hotspot kit in the book drop of the branch where you originally checked it out.
What if I return a hotspot kit late or lose it?
Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc. The overdue fines for a hotspot are $5 per day with a maximum fine of $15.
The wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned on the due date.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Hotspot device replacement fee: $80
- Charger cord replacement: $5
- USB adapter replacement: $5
- Case replacement: $20
If the entire hotspot kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $110.
How many devices can be connected to a hotspot?
Up to ten (10) devices can be connected to the hotspot device at one time using the WiFi password library1
Can I use the hotspot device outside the U.S.?
No, the hotspot device only functions in the United States and where a Sprint signal is available. Visit coverage.sprint.com to see where Sprint coverage is available.
What if I need help connecting my device to the hotspot?
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please call the library at (216) 932-3600 to speak with a Librarian.