2022 Tax Preparation Resources
The filing deadline is Tuesday, April 18. Because of the increased popularity of electronic tax filing, the IRS no longer sends out paper income tax packages to individual or business taxpayers.
- Due to budget cuts at the IRS, Heights Libraries will receive only a limited supply of federal 1040 forms and booklets.
- We will provide a limited supply of Ohio 1040 forms and booklets at every branch.
- We are happy to print out any tax forms for you at any branch.
Note: There are no 1040EZ or 1040A forms anymore. Everyone now only uses the new 1040, plus whatever schedules they might need. Schedule A and the other lettered schedules do still exist, but we will not be getting copies of them this year. With the redesigned 1040, it is believed that fewer people will need the other Schedules.
Cleveland Heights municipal income tax is collected by the Regional Income Tax Agency, also known as R.I.T.A. RITA’s electronic filing is now accepting submissions. Citizens can visit ritaohio.com to file Tax Year 2021 individual returns and exemptions.
Free AARP Tax Help
All AARP Tax Help sessions at the Library are full. There will not be any more sessions added.
For more information about the AARP Tax-Aide program, including help sessions, please visit their help page or call 1-888-687-2277 (1-888-OUR-AARP), or call the Cleveland Heights AARP chapter at (216) 691-7377.
Other Tax Assistance
- Individuals making $60,000 or less can use the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program for free tax preparation and, in many cases, free electronic filing.
- Individuals aged 60 and older can take advantage of free tax counseling and basic income tax preparation through Tax Counseling for the Elderly.
- IRS Free File provides options for free brand-name tax software or online fillable forms plus free electronic filing. Everyone can use Free File to prepare a federal tax return. Taxpayers who make $73,000 or less can choose from commercial software providers. There’s no income limit for Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms, which also has free e-filing.
- The Cuyahoga EITC Coalition (part of the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program) offers free tax preparation services for individuals or families making less than $60,000 a year.
Free Federal Online Filing Options
Traditional Free File is a no-cost tax preparation and electronic filing program that is available for individuals with incomes of $69,000 or less in 2019.
Need to talk to someone? Find a guide to telephone assistance.
Where to File Addresses
Local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center:
1240 E. Ninth St.
Cleveland, OH 44119
M-F 8:30am – 4:30pm
Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS:
Locating Tax Forms
A selection of Ohio and federal individual income tax forms are available for free at Heights Libraries during tax season. We are happy to print out any forms that are not available in the display.
- State and federal tax forms can be downloaded and printed from state and federal sites.
- Internal Revenue Service: www.irs.gov
Browse forms and publications
- Ohio Department of Taxation: http://tax.ohio.gov
Browse forms and publications
- Employer and information forms such as W-2, 1098 and 1099 forms can be ordered directly from the IRS.
- Income tax forms for other states can be located through the Federation of Tax Administrators.
Contacting the IRS
Contact your local IRS office here.
Contacting the Ohio Department of Taxation
City Tax Information
Taxpayer Assistance Programs
- AARP Tax Aide Program
Volunteers assist seniors and low income taxpayers in preparing their federal and state income tax returns. Check for eligibility, locations and times.
- United Way 211/First Call For Help
Call 2-1-1 if calling within Cuyahoga County. Alternate number: (216) 436-2000
- Cleveland Taxpayer Service Center
1240 E. Ninth Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44199
Monday through Friday 8:30-4:30
Electronic Tax Filing Information
- Electronic filing may be completed using a personal computer and internet access. Follow instructions from the Internal Revenue Service and the State of Ohio.
- File IRS online for free – IRS Free File
- A special note about E-filing using library computers:
Whereas E-filing may be done at library computers, taxpayers must be alerted to the fact that our computers are configured to be public access machines and not personal computers. Therefore, e-filing at the library is not recommended for a number of practical reasons. The library does not allow users to install tax preparation software on its computer terminals and you may not be allowed enough time on a computer to complete your filing. Heights Library clearly states that it is not responsible for any liability that may occur as a result of the disclosure of financial or other personal information over the system.