The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself.

Wallace Stevens
Wallace Stevens

Our Lee Road Branch is an official Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Department of State.

Passport application processing and photo services are available Monday – Saturday by appointment only.

  • Please call 216-932-3600 to book an appointment.

  • Each application takes approximately 30-60 minutes to process.
  • Please book consecutive appointments for more than one application to ensure sufficient completion time.
  • Appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
  • More time may be needed for complex cases involving citizenship, guardianship, or last-minute travel.

Passport Service Hours

  • Monday – Friday / 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
  • Saturday / 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

The U.S. Department of State is solely responsible for evaluating applications and issuing passports. For more information about how to obtain your passport please visit the U.S. Department of State website or call the National Passport Information Center at 1.877.487.2778.


All fees are payable by check or money order only. Separate execution and application fees are to be paid to the library and to the U.S. Department of State. Please bring two separate checks or money orders for each application.

  • Passport Photo Fee / $15.00
  • Execution Fee / $35.00
  • Application Fees / All fees associated with your passport application are determined by the U.S. Department of State and can differ depending on the services requested. Fees can be determined prior to your appointment by calling the library or visiting the fees page on the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Expedited Processing / $60

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring with me to apply for a new passport?

  • Completed, unsigned DS-11 form filled out in black ink. Forms are available at the Lee Road branch or printable from the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship. Photocopies will not be accepted. Original documents are required and will be returned to you by the State Department.
  • Photocopy of proof of U.S. Citizenship
  • Current photo ID
  • Photocopy front and back of photo ID
  • One passport photo. Photos can be taken at the library for a $15 fee.
  • Two checks or money orders for processing fees payable to the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library and U.S. Department of State. To determine the correct fees before your appointment, please visit the fees page on U.S. Department of State website.

Can I get a passport for my child?

  • Children under 16 years old: Children and both parents/legal guardians must be present during the application process. Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship as well as current parent/guardian proof of ID are required.
  • Children age 16-17: The minor must appear in person. If the child has a photo ID, the parent is not required to be present; however it is recommended that a parent indicate consent by being present, being listed as an emergency contact, or by providing check for payment.

How do I renew a passport?

  • Adults: If you are renewing a passport, be sure to read over the requirements. We will happily review your renewal application, however the applicant is responsible for mailing the DS-82 form and expired passport to the U.S. Department of State. Renewal DS-82 forms are available at the Lee Road branch and printable from the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Minors: To renew a passport for a minor under the age of 16, please schedule and appointment. Minors under 16 must appear in person (with parents/guardian) and submit a previous passport, DS-11 form, birth certificate, and parent/guardian’s proof of identity to the U.S. Department of State.

How long does it take to get my passport?

  • Routine application processing takes 4-6 weeks, but could take up to 8 weeks. Expedited service (2-3 weeks) is available for an additional fee.

Where can I get information about the status of my application?

  • Please call the National Passport Center at 1-877-487-2778 for any questions concerning your passport application once it has been submitted.

I’ve lost my birth certificate! What do I do?

  • If you were born in Ohio, visit the State Department of Health’s Vital Records page to request a new birth certificate.
  • If you were born in another state, visit the CDC website for vital records contact information.
  • Birth certificates must be certified – photocopies will not be accepted.

Can I apply for a visa at the library?

  • Passport application acceptance agencies do not handle visas.
  • A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country.
  • Foreign entry requirements vary by country.
  • Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information.