Comics, comic books and graphic novels both online and in print are very popular and a legitimate way to tell a story. And comics aren’t just for superheroes anymore.
Moreover, Cleveland is a hotbed of comic book creativity. For example, three popular comic book authors recently hailed from the Greater Cleveland Area: Brian Michael Bendis, Brian K. Vaughan, and Brian Azzarello.
Is it time for you to carry on the tradition?
The books in this list offer guidance in learning the craft of writing and drawing comics.
So You Want to Create Comics?
Interested in one or more of these books? Click the mouse on the book cover to read more about it and order it from your local CLEVNET library.
New Books on Comic Creation
- The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics: Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling by John Lowe
- Foundations in Comic Book Art: SCAD Creative Essentials (Fundamental Tools and Techniques for Sequential Artists) by John Lowe
- Make Comics Like the Pros: The Inside Scoop on How to Write, Draw, and Sell Your Comic Books and Graphic Novels by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente
- Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels by Brian Michael Bendis
The Original List
- Alan Moore’s Writing for Comics by Alan Moore
- Comics and Sequential Art: Principles and Practices from the Legendary Cartoonist (The Will Eisner Instructional Series #1) by Will Eisner
- The DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics by Mark Chiarello and Todd Klein
- The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics by Freddie E. Williams
- The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics by Klaus Janson
- The DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics by Klaus Janson
- The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics by Dennis O’Neil
- Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative: Principles and Practices from the Legendary Cartoonist (The Will Eisner Instructional Series #3) by Will Eisner
- Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative: Principles and Practices from the Legendary Cartoonist (The Will Eisner Instructional Series #2) by Will Eisner
- How to Make Web Comics by Scott R. Kurtz
- Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels (The Understanding Comics Series #3) by Scott McCloud
- Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing An Art Form (The Understanding Comics Series #2) by Scott McCloud
- Stan Lee’s How to Draw Comics: From the Legendary Co-creator of Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Iron Man by Stan Lee
- Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee
- Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and A Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us about Being Human by Grant Morrison
- Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels by Peter David
Check Out Another Version of This List
You can view another version of So You Want to Create Comics? book list complete with my annotations for many of the books at the CLEVNET webcatalog.